Friday 24 May 2013

Spinach, Leek and Feta Puff Pastry Tart Recipe

Earlier this week I made some asparagus and parmesan tarts (find the recipe here: http://foodloverlondon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/british-asparagus-season-asparagus.html) and today I decided to use up the other half of my ready-rolled puff pastry to make another tart for my lunch - a spinach, leek and feta tart. Instead of following a recipe for this one, I used a bit of improvisation and (in my opinion!) the end result was actually very nice. I was a bit pressed for time, so instead of doing 2 separate tarts I made one big one with the remaining pastry and then cut it in half to share with my brother who is currently visiting. He's a bit of a fuss-pot with his veggies, so was surprised that he seemed so keen to try it, and he seemed to enjoy it as much as I did - shocker!


Recipe - Spinach, Leek and Feta Tarts
Serves 2

Ingredients:

Olive oil 
150g frozen spinach
1 leek, thinly chopped
1 egg
Half a pack of ready-rolled puff pastry (I used half a pack of Sainsbury's 375g puff pastry)
60g feta, cut into cubes

Method:

  • Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  • Place the puff pastry onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Score a line into the pastry to make a thin border around the outside. 
  • Defrost the spinach and drain away any excess water. 
  • Pour a couple of glugs of olive oil into a non-stick frying pan. Add the leeks and spinach and cook on a medium heat until softened.
  • Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the beaten egg.
  • Pour the mixture onto the pastry and spread within the borders made previously.
  • Sprinkle over the cubes of feta.
  • Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry has puffed up and is golden brown.
  • The finished result...

I then cut this in half and shared it with my brother, with a bit of extra salad on the side.

Lisa x

No comments:

Post a Comment